Sample Safety and Health Contract Language
- The Employer agrees that it will provide a safe and healthy workplace and to correct any unsafe condition or safety or health hazard. This includes the Employer’s commitment to comply with all federal, state and local laws and regulations. The Employer agrees to promptly investigate all hazards, unsafe conditions and accidents brought to its attention and to promptly remedy all hazards and unsafe conditions its investigation reveals.
- The Employer agrees that it alone bears the responsibility for providing a safe and healthy workplace, and that nothing in this Agreement suggests that the Union has undertaken or assumed any part of that responsibility.
- The Employer will provide employees with mutually‑acceptable orientation and training to perform their jobs safely, including instruction in proper work methods, use of protective equipment, and safe maintenance, handling and use of materials and equipment. The Employer agrees to pay employees for attending such orientations and training. The Employer will not ask or allow any employee to work or operate any equipment until the employee has received all relevant training.
- The Employer will furnish, at its expense, all safety and protective equipment required or advisable for the protection of employees.
Safety and Health Committees
- The parties agree to establish a joint Union Management Safety and Health Committee. The Union and the Employer will each appoint an equal number of the members of the Safety and Health Committee.
- The Employer in coordination with the Union will conduct one day of mutually‑acceptable health and safety training for the Safety and Health Committee members.
- The Committee will review injuries and illnesses and identify causes and prevention; observe, inspect and propose changes in the workplace and in safety rules; participate in government health and safety inspections; participate in the review of hazardous materials prior to their use in the facility; review OSHA 300 logs and 301 forms; review layout changes, machine modifications and new equipment and machinery; participate in the development of health and safety programs; bring health and safety problems to the Employer’s attention; recommend changes in the work environment and procedures; and review, recommend changes and participate in safety education and training.
- Every month, the Employer will furnish the Safety and Health Committee with copies of all records of air and noise monitoring, a list of hazardous chemicals used in the facility, Material Safety Data Sheets, OSHA 300 logs, and all reports, surveys, studies, inspections and measurements of worker exposure actual or potential toxic materials, harmful physical agents and injuries or illnesses.
- The Safety and Health Committee will hold meetings as often as necessary, but not less than once each month. All meetings will be held during normally scheduled working hours.
- The Employer will promptly notify the Union‑designated Committee members of any accident resulting in injury. The Employer agrees that any Union‑appointed Committee member may be involved with the Employer’s investigation of accidents, hazards or unsafe conditions.
- The Employer agrees to permit Committee members to inspect facility conditions and bring any hazards or unsafe conditions to the Employer’s attention. The Employer agrees to correct any hazards or unsafe conditions Committee members bring to its attention as soon as possible.
- The Employer will pay employee Committee members for time lost while acting as Committee members. The Employer will also pay lost time, amounting to one day per year, for Committee members to attend safety and health training.